Sunday, December 11, 2011

Quick Intro-A Year Without Buying Makeup

There are two reasons that I need to do this project.  The first one makes me sound like a good person, but the second one does all the heavy lifting.  I'm hoping the combination about a heady motivation with a grounded reason will help me persevere.

First, I am really 'over' consumerism.  Perhaps it was the insane Black Friday melding into Thanksgiving that did it this year.  I am amazed at how I spend my time.  I spend 70% of my recreational free time thinking about makeup currently and that's not ok with me.  In other words I'm disappointed in myself.  Not for being 'shallow' because I don't think that thinking about makeup makes me shallow, its because I have so many other interests that I completely ignore.  I also believe that I have a slightly addictive personality, which I would like to curb as much as possible.

Second (and real reason), I'm a student that is ending her part time job because I simply do not have enough time outside of school.  In losing that additional cash, I will have to stick to a 'real' budget.  I have an apartment, utilities, and some (comparatively minor) tuition fees.  I cannot keep buying makeup like I am currently.

I spent a boatload of money this holiday season, more than I care to admit to myself, let alone anyone else who is out there.  First there was Sephora's Friends & Family, then the VIB sale, then the VIB gift card sale.  And there were many other Friends & Family sales in addition to some MAC purchases.

Onto the challenge then!  My challenge to myself and to anyone who reads this is no makeup purchases for me in 2012.  (If the world does come to the end, I don't want my last thoughts to be about lip gloss.)

Rules:
1.  No makeup purchases for me.  That's really it, no exceptions, nothing for 'limited edition' magical eyeshadows or anything else.  I can purchase makeup for a gift (for someone else).
2.  No bath and body or skincare items or hair care items until a use up a significant portion of what I currently use.  Significant to me means about 70% of what I own, but I'm hoping to use up more.

I was searching for support through YouTube and MakeupAlley and found some support, but I wanted to be held accountable for my promises.  I am hoping that you, the reader, will help me do this.  Please leave comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, and thank you for reading.

Disclaimer:  I have several packages that are currently being mailed to me.  I also want to check out the CVS clearance at some point before January 1.  If I'm feeling weak, I may also place an ELF order before January 1.  I want to evaluate my collection before I do that, but that will have to wait until after finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment